Sunday, August 11, 2013

Chennai Express - More like a Chennai Slow Local

Somehow the big festive releases over last few years have earned a reputation of ending up being big disappointments... This time also I had expected nothing different and had gone to see this 'blockbuster in making' with the lowest expectations. Read further to know what happened...

The film can be neatly divided into 3 parts:

Part I (15 minutes) - Pre-boarding Chennai Express - There was Shahrukh doing a different kind of tomfoolery. There were jokes around Sachin Tendulkar's failure and a dying grand-father, both taboo subjects for Hindi mainstream comedies. The main lead's moral moorings questioned. I thought Rohit Shetty's gags are going to be different this time and bolder as well. I chuckled a few times.

Part II (20 minutes) - Aboard Chennai Express - A classic and memorable spoof on DDLJ, a hilarious sing-song conversation between hero and heroine and SRK as a wimp. I laughed out loud. My expectations increased.

Part III (never ending) - Post-alighting Chennai Express - Unwanted songs, tired jokes and the hero SRK returns. Film's plot stagnates and there is nothing more to laugh at. I am sure I saw few people sleeping.





I never thought that after Ra.One, Shahrukh Khan can embarrass himself further with his over the top and laborious acting. But I was so wrong. I never thought Rohit Shetty would make a film where you will have to search hard for genuine laughs. But I was so wrong. I never thought that Deepika, when paired opppsite Shahrukh, can hold her own. But I was so so wrong.

Infact Deepika's comic timing was better than anyone else in the film. Shahrukh couldn't decide what should his character be like. And Rohit Shetty delivers a really long (it felt like one) and a boring film...

Even with my low expectations it turned out to be a big disappointment. Am I an alien, because this film is going to be yet another blockbuster anyways!!!


Copyright® CINEMAnia

2 comments:

Gaurav Tiwari said...

Thanks for such honest opinions! Some popular media reviews told me this to be a great entertainer. I trusted them and lose some good money and time watching this.

Charan Deep Singh said...

Thanks gaurav :-)

Thank you! Kindly leave your suggestions & feedback